The organization is anchored on three (3) pillars namely:
- Green Growth: Promotion of Resource Efficient, Clean and Climate Sensitive Technologies & Solutions
- Enterprise Development: Market Development for MSMEs through a value chain approach to enhance effectiveness
- Value Chain Development: Inclusive and Holistic View of the Micro-Enterprise.
MESPT was started as a Programme (Micro Enterprises Support Programme -MESP), by the Government of Kenya and the European Union. The Programme was implemented from December 1997 to December 2003. In 2002, The Micro Enterprises Support Programme Trust -MESPT was established by the Government of Kenya (GoK) and the Royal Danish Government -DANIDA, to assume and continue with the activities of the Micro-Enterprises Support Programme.
The Trust’s mandate has since been expanded with an increase in the Programme activities largely supported by DANIDA. The Trust’s first operations began on January 2003 and started by offering wholesale loans in line with a Memorandum of Understanding signed between the Trust, the EU and GoK. At inception, the EU donated Euros 4,417,000.00 (Kshs 420 Million then), as the seed capital for the wholesale loan portfolio.
What we do:
MESPT is a development organization involved in Agriculture Value Chains and Wholesale Financing for on-lending.
Who we serve
Our business model has four clienteles that we work with:
- Producers (farmers): We are at the forefront to ensure that the smallholder farmers are linked with viable markets for their produce and offered capacity building services to build their skills. The farmers must be in groups (Farmer Groups and Associations/ Community-Based Organisations (CBOs))
- Service providers: We capacity build agricultural experts to provide advice and technical assistance to farmers. They act as a bridge between farmers and SMEs by providing a demonstrable added value to the supply chain.
- Markets/SMEs (processors/ exporters): We continuously source for small scale processors and exporters who we link with farmers so that they can trade and also link them to financial institutions that can lend them working capital when in need. We also equip them with relevant skills through capacity building and further expose them to international markets through international trade fairs.
- Financial Intermediaries (Saccos, MFIs, FSAs): We closely work with Financial institutions which we give affordable wholesale loans for on-lending to SMEs and farmers within value chains. Apart from the financial resource, financial institutions working with MESPT also benefit from capacity building of its staff & board, Development and installation of MIS; Product development support etc.
- Water resource management
- Waste Management
- Food Safety
To support the growth of micro, small and medium enterprises by providing integrated business solutions for sustainable development
To be the leading and preferred provider of resources for development of enterprises.
Our Core Purpose:
To help build a more prosperous society.
To support the growth and development of micro, small and medium enterprises for improved business competitiveness and poverty reduction